After a crazy week that limited the amount of time I could knit, this big guy is finally starting to take shape! He now has hands, feet, and a nose. All that is left is to knit up his eyes, tongue, one more ear, horns, and wings. He also needs a little bit of a nose job; I think I want to tack it down a little more. So many details!
I’m ready to move on to something more challenging after the gargoyle. While he’s a lot of fun, he’s also a lot of stockinette and seaming. I can’t decide if I should work on Ken’s cabled sweater next or start on my friend’s multi-colored hat. I have ideas for the hat, but nothing drawn out yet. I also don’t have a hard deadline for the sweater, but the hat is due in August. Decisions, decisions!
It didn’t help much that I spent most of my weekend with my spinning wheel, Herbert. Something clicked the other day, and while I don’t have smooth, even yarn, I don’t have the stop-and-go issues I did before. My foot can truck along without monitoring now. I finished one roving and have moved on to another.
The first roving I completed is a Blue Faced Leceister roving from Three Waters Farm. The one I’m working on now is a merino/bamboo/silk blend. It’s a much different experience the second time around. BFL has a longer staple than merino. I find that the merino just breaks on me, either because of not enough spin or because the staple ran out, and then I have to stop and restart. It’s all part of the learning experience, I suppose. I’m still, overall, having a wonderful time with my wheel, despite these breakage issues.