Earflap Hat: Keeping Busy

I was completely clever this weekend. After visiting my folks, my mom and I went to one movie while my husband went to another. We all agreed it would be best if my mom dropped me off at our house rather than trying to mess with matching up schedules. It seemed perfect! Until I realised, settling into my favourite chair, that I had none of my knitting projects with me or the yarn my little brother had purchased for his new hat.

I was left utterly project-less in a house that would be empty for five to six hours while my husband was at bowling league. What’s a girl to do!

Luckily, I have a huge stash of yarn. After a little thinking, I settled on a hat. I have a nice bamboo hat I had knit flat a few months ago, but it’s definitely seen better days. Plus, now that I was able to handle knitting in the round, I found it a bit embarrassing to sport a hat knit flat (silly, I know).

Here is the pattern I based my hat off of:

It’s the Thorpe pattern by Kirsten Kapur. I really liked it, but there were some things I had to change to make it work for me.

First, I apparently have a huge head. So, after the last increase for the large size, I made on more round of increases. The result? Perfect fit!

I also added some stranded work other than what was featured in the pattern. I took the stranded repeat pattern from the Oslo Legwarmers by Martha Merzig (which are definitely on my list to make sometime):

In order to fit the pattern onto the hat, though, I had to cut out a few rounds. I am happy with the result, though! It fits like a dream, also with some tinkering with the earflaps, and I love the colour (yellow, my favourite!!). I managed to keep myself occupied for two days, even though my yarn and projects returned last night.

WIP updates: The herringbone cowl has reached 3 inches in width. The merino Malabrigo wool is simply divine. I catch myself pausing to touch it every so often and have to remind myself to continue. According to the pattern, I have about 11 more inches to go.

As for my brother’s hat, it took two attempts to cast on before I finally got it. I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing with it yet. I found one pattern, but I’m not entirely happy. So, I’ve decided to start with the hat while I ponder the beard. If anyone has suggestions, I’m totally up for it. He purchased Red Heart Soft in chocolate for the hat and wine (red) for the beard.

I’ll keep you up to date with my projects! Also, please feel free to add me as a friend on Ravelry. My username is anastasiamw. Take care!

Advertisements